Brined & Grilled Wings with 2 Sauces
Prep: 20 minutes plus brining
Grill: 23 minutes • Serves: 6x
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup teriyaki marinade
1/3 cup BBQ sauce
1. With kitchen scissors, cut off wing tips; discard. With sharp knife, split wings at the joint into the middle section and drumette.
2. In large heatproof, nonmetal bowl, stir 1 cup boiling water, sugar and kosher salt until sugar and salt are dissolved; stir in 3 cups ice water. Add wings; cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 or up to 4 hours.
3. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium-low heat (or heat a grill pan over medium-low heat); line rimmed baking pan with paper towels. Drain wings; discard brine and wipe out bowl with paper towels. Rinse wings under cold water; transfer to prepared pan and pat dry with paper towels. In same bowl, toss wings, garlic salt and pepper.
4. Place wings on hot grill rack; cover and cook 20 minutes, turning 4 times. Transfer half the wings to 1 aluminum foil container; add teriyaki marinade and toss. Transfer remaining half of wings to separate aluminum foil container; add BBQ sauce and toss.
5. Increase grill to medium-high heat. Place wings on hot grill rack; cook 3 minutes or until caramelized, turning once. Makes about 24 wings.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (4 wings):
323 Calories, 18g Fat, 5g Saturated Fat, 150mg Cholesterol, 2591mg Sodium,
13g Carbohydrates, 0g Fiber, 12g Sugars, 12g Added Sugars, 26g Protein
To prepare wings for tailgating, cook as directed through step 4. Cool wings completely; cover and refrigerate up to 1 day. Finish wings as directed in step 5 at tailgate site.