Chocolate Hazelnut Beignets
Prep: 45 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes • Makes: 4 dozen
1envelope (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
1/4cup Domino Granulated Sugar
1Busch’s Large Egg
4cups all-purpose flour plus additional for dusting
1/2cup evaporated milk
2tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
Nonstick cooking spray
3 1/2to 4 cups canola or vegetable oil
1jar (13 ounces) chocolate hazelnut spread
2cups powdered sugar for dusting
1. In bowl of stand mixer with dough hook, stir water, yeast and sugar; let stand 5 minutes. Add egg, flour, evaporated milk, butter and salt. Mix on low speed 2 minutes. Increase speed to medium; mix 2 minutes.
2. Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface; gently knead 2 minutes or until dough is smooth, dusting dough with flour as needed (note: dough will be very sticky). Spray large bowl with cooking spray; transfer dough to prepared bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand in warm place 2 hours or until doubled in size.
3. Transfer dough to lightly floured work surface; punch down dough. Dust rolling pin with flour; roll dough to 12 x 16-inch rectangle. Using a ruler as a guide, cut dough into 2-inch squares.
4. Attach candy thermometer to side of 4-quart saucepot. Fill pot with 2 inches of oil; heat oil to 375°. Carefully add 3 to 4 beignets to hot oil; cook 1 to 1-1/2 minutes or until golden brown, turning once halfway through cooking. With slotted spoon, transfer beignet to paper towel-lined cookie sheet to drain. Repeat process to cook remaining beignets, adding more oil to pot if necessary and reheating to 375°.
5. Fill pastry bag fitted with small round piping tip with hazelnut spread. Gently insert piping tip about 1/4 inch into side of each beignet; squeeze bag while slowly pulling out tip to fill. In large bowl, toss beignets in powdered sugar.
Approximate nutritional values per serving:
385 Calories, 24g Fat (7g Saturated), 11mg Cholesterol,
88mg Sodium, 38g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 4g Protein
The beignets taste best served the day they are made.
You can make this recipe without using a stand mixer by stirring the ingredients together by hand in a large mixing bowl and kneading the dough for 7 to 9 minutes until it’s smooth, dusting with flour as needed.