Copycat Jumbo Soft Pretzels with Honey-Mustard Dip
Prep: 40 minutes plus standing
Bake: 10 minutes • Serves: 6
1 cup whole milk
1 envelope (.25 ounce) instant dry yeast
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon brown sugar
4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour plus additional for dusting
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1-1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
1. Line 3 rimmed baking pans with parchment paper; spray large bowl with cooking spray. In medium microwave-safe bowl, whisk milk and 2/3 cup water; heat in microwave oven on high 1 minute 20 seconds or until warm (no more than 115°). Whisk yeast and 1 teaspoon brown sugar into milk mixture; let stand 5 minutes.
2. In large bowl, whisk flour and remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar; gradually stir in milk mixture, stirring after each addition until incorporated.
3. On lightly floured work surface, knead dough 3 minutes or until smooth and elastic; form into a ball and place in prepared bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; let stand in warm spot 30 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 450°. In small bowl, whisk baking soda and 1/4 cup warm water. Transfer dough to work surface; cut into 6 equal pieces. Working with 1 piece of dough at a time, roll dough into 35-inch-long rope. Hold ends of rope between thumb and forefinger of each hand; loop dough away from you and cross 1 end over the other with about 3 inches of each end overhanging. Twist overhanging ends together twice, then fold ends down toward you and press the ends of each rope onto the center side of outside loop to make a 7-inch-wide pretzel; repeat with remaining dough pieces. Transfer pretzels to prepared pans, placing 2 inches apart; liberally brush with baking soda mixture and let stand 15 minutes.
5. In small bowl, whisk mustard, honey and mayonnaise. Makes about 1/2 cup.
6. Bake pretzels 10 minutes or until golden brown; immediately brush with butter and sprinkle with salt. Serve pretzels with dip.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (1 pretzel, 4 teaspoons dip):
502 Calories, 13g Fat (6g Saturated), 26mg Cholesterol,
798mg Sodium, 81g Carbohydrates, 3g Fiber, 11g Protein
If you don’t have 3 rimmed baking pans, you can form and bake the pretzels in batches.