Crispy Skin Salmon with Beet-Citrus Salad
Prep: 25 minutes plus standing
Roast/Cook: 1 hour 7 minutes • Serves: 4
1 medium red beet
1/4 cup avocado oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 medium orange
1 medium grapefruit
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
2 cups packed baby spinach, chopped
4 skin-on salmon fillets (about 6 ounces each)
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Rinse beets under cold water and pat dry. Rub beets with 1/2 tablespoon oil, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Wrap individually in aluminum foil and place on rimmed baking pan. Roast beets 1 hour or until tender and easily pierced with knife. Remove beets from oven and carefully open aluminum foil to allow steam to escape. Let stand 20 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Peel and chop golden beets, then red beets.
2. Slice off ends of orange and grapefruit; place cut side down on cutting board. With a paring knife, slice down sides of fruits to remove skin and white pith. Working with 1 fruit at a time, hold fruit over small bowl; gently cut along sides of membranes to release each segment. Chop segments and place in large bowl; squeeze juice from fruit membranes into same small bowl.
3. Stir tarragon, 1/2 tablespoon oil, 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper, and 2 tablespoons fruit juices into large bowl with fruit; add spinach and toss. Makes about 4 cups.
4. In large skillet, heat remaining 3 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat 2 minutes or until hot. Pat salmon dry; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Place salmon, skin side down, in skillet and reduce heat to medium; cook 5 minutes or until skin is crisp and browned. Turn salmon; cook 2 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145°.
5. Serve salmon, skin side up, with beet salad.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (1 salmon fillet, 1 cup salad):
453 Calories, 26g Fat (4g Saturated), 107mg Cholesterol,
764mg Sodium, 12g Carbohydrates, 3g Fiber, 40g Protein