Grilled Vegetable Stuffed Peppers
Prep: 20 minutes
Grill: 30 minutes • Serves: 6
1 package (8.8 ounces) microwaveable brown rice
2 pounds 85% lean ground beef
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 small zucchini, chopped
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1-1/2 cups marinara sauce
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
6 (1/4-inch-thick) slices fresh mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
1. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. Slice off 1/2 inch from top of bell peppers; remove seeds and inner membranes. Prepare rice as label directs.
2. In large skillet, cook beef, salt and black pepper over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until browned, breaking up beef with side of spoon; reserve and cool half the beef mixture (about 2 cups). Add zucchini and tomatoes to skillet; cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer beef mixture in skillet to large bowl; stir in 1 cup sauce, corn and rice. Makes about 5 cups.
3. In small bowl, stir breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese and oil.
4. Fill peppers with beef-corn mixture; top with remaining 1/2 cup sauce, mozzarella cheese and breadcrumb mixture. Place peppers, breadcrumb mixture side up, on hot grill rack; cover and cook 5 minutes or until grill marks appear. Turn off 1 side of grill; place peppers over unlit side of grill, cover and cook 25 minutes or until heated through, peppers are tender and cheese melts.
5. Serve peppers sprinkled with basil. Refrigerate reserved beef mixture in an airtight container up to 2 days; use in the Grilled Beef, Red Onion & Guacamole Quesadilla Pockets recipe.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (1 stuffed pepper):
394 Calories, 19g Fat (7g Saturated), 70mg Cholesterol,
650mg Sodium, 32g Carbohydrates, 5g Fiber, 25g Protein