Mexican Beef-Mushroom Patty Melts
Prep: 30 minutes
Grill: 10 minutes • Serves: 4
2packages (8 ounces each) baby bella mushrooms, finely chopped
1teaspoon 40% less-sodium taco seasoning
1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
1-1/2cups sliced Vidalia onion
1/4cup sliced jalapeño peppers
3/4pound Laura’s Lean 92% Lean Ground Beef
8slices whole wheat bread
4slices Muenster cheese
1/2cup black bean and corn salsa
1avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
1. Prepare outdoor grill for direct grilling over medium heat. Spray large skillet with cooking spray; heat 1 minute over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, taco seasoning and black pepper; cook 10 minutes or until very tender, golden brown and all liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally. Cool slightly.
2. Spray second large skillet with cooking spray; heat 1 minute over medium heat. Add onion and jalapeño peppers; cook 8 minutes or until very tender and golden brown, stirring occasionally.
3. In large bowl, thoroughly mix ground beef and mushroom mixture; form into 4 (1/2-inch thick) patties. Make shallow indentation in center of each patty.
4. Spray both sides of patties with cooking spray; place on hot grill rack, cover and cook 8 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 160°, turning once. About 4 minutes before burgers are done, grill bread until grill marks appear, turning once. About 2 minutes before burgers are done, top burgers with cheese.
5. Serve burgers on bread topped with onion-pepper mixture, salsa and avocado.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (1 burger): 498 Calories, 22g Fat (8g Saturated), 77mg Cholesterol, 575mg Sodium, 40g Carbohydrates, 10g Fiber, 35g Protein