Skillet Pear Pie with Vanilla Ice Cream
Prep: 20 minutes plus cooling
Bake: 1 hour • Serves: 8
6 large Bosc pears, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1-1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup enriched all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Nonstick cooking spray
1 large egg
2 cups vanilla ice cream
1. Let pie crusts stand at room temperature as label directs to soften slightly. Position oven rack to middle position; preheat oven to 425°.
2. In large bowl, toss pears, 1 cup sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. Spray 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray. Unroll 1 pie crust and place in prepared skillet; fill with pear mixture. Unroll second pie crust and place over pear mixture; fold overhanging sides of crust under and pinch edges together to seal.
4. In small bowl, whisk egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush top of pie with egg mixture; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup sugar. With paring knife, cut 8 vents in top of pie; bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°; bake pie 45 minutes or until filling is bubbling and top is golden brown. Cool 20 minutes on wire rack.
5. Cut pie into 8 slices; serve topped with ice cream.
Approximate nutritional values per serving (1 slice pie, 1/4 cup ice cream):
537 Calories, 18g Fat (8g Saturated), 33mg Cholesterol,
302mg Sodium, 94g Carbohydrates, 5g Fiber, 5g Protein