Spice Rubbed Turkey with Cranberry-Walnut Mole
Prep: 30 minutes
Roast: 3 hours • Serves: 12
2tablespoons kosher salt
1tablespoon ground black pepper
1tablespoon garlic powder
2teaspoons ground cumin
1fresh or frozen (thawed) turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
2celery ribs, coarsely chopped
2medium onions, 1 quartered and 1 coarsely chopped
1container (32 ounces) Gia Russa® Culinary Stock
1/2pound Challenge® Unsalted Butter (2 sticks), melted
2tablespoons Colavita® Olive Oil
6garlic cloves, chopped
2medium serrano peppers, seeded and chopped
1cup chopped walnuts
1teaspoon ground cinnamon
1can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
1cup dried cranberries
1cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Adjust oven rack to lowest position. Preheat oven to 325°. Place roasting rack in large, deep roasting pan. In small bowl, whisk 1 tablespoon chile powder, salt, black pepper, garlic powder and 1 teaspoon cumin.
2. Remove giblets from turkey cavity; discard liver. Place turkey, breast side up, on rack in pan; pat turkey dry with paper towel. Sprinkle inside cavity and outside of turkey with chile powder mixture; place celery and onion quarters inside cavity. If not already secured, tie legs together with kitchen string; tuck wing tips under turkey to hold in place. Place giblets around turkey in pan; add stock. Roast turkey 1-1/2 hours or until turkey starts to brown.
3. Baste turkey with butter; roast 30 minutes. Baste turkey; tent with foil. Roast turkey 1 hour longer or until juices run clear and internal temperature reaches 160° in thickest part of thigh, making sure thermometer doesn’t touch bone, basting every 20 minutes. Transfer turkey to platter; loosely cover with foil. (Internal temperature will rise about 10° upon standing.)
4. Remove rack from pan; with spoon, skim excess fat from drippings and strain through fine-mesh strainer into small bowl. Heat medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add oil and chopped onion; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, serrano peppers and walnuts; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in cinnamon and remaining 1 tablespoon chile powder and 1 teaspoon cumin. Stir in tomato sauce, cranberries and strained drippings; heat to a simmer. Stir in chocolate; cook 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer chocolate mixture to blender; blend until smooth.
5. Carve turkey and serve with mole.
Approximate nutritional values per serving:
810 Calories, 47g Fat (18g Saturated), 303mg Cholesterol,
1593mg Sodium, 26g Carbohydrates, 4g Fiber, 73g Protein
If you don’t have a roasting rack, place giblets in roasting pan, then place turkey directly on giblets.