Prep: 25 minutes plus cooling and chilling
Bake: 15 minutes • Serves: 12
6 large eggs
1 package (15.25 ounces) devil’s food cake mix
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1-1/4 cups heavy cream
3-1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons powdered sugar plus additional for garnish
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted plus additional for garnish
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 large marshmallows
12 chewy caramels in milk chocolate candies, unwrapped
Chocolate shavings, sugared cranberries and sugared rosemary for garnish (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Line 17-1/4 x 11-1/2-inch jellyroll pan with parchment paper; spray with cooking spray. In large bowl, with mixer on high speed, beat eggs 5 minutes; reduce speed to low. Add cake mix, 1/2 cup water and oil; beat 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium; beat 1 minute. Pour batter into prepared pan; with rubber spatula, evenly spread batter in pan. Bake 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
2. Dust kitchen towel with powdered sugar. While still hot, flip cake onto prepared towel; carefully peel off parchment paper. Starting from short end, roll up cake in towel; cool 1 hour.
3. For filling, in large bowl, with mixer on low speed, beat 1 cup cream, 2 tablespoons powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 minutes; increase speed to medium-high and beat 4 minutes or until stiff peaks form.
4. Carefully unroll cake. Leaving 1/2-inch border, evenly spread filling over cake. Starting from short end, roll up cake with filling; refrigerate 30 minutes.
5. For frosting, in large bowl, with mixer on medium speed, beat butter 2 minutes; reduce speed to low. Add cocoa powder, salt, and remaining 1/4 cup cream, 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract; beat 2 minutes. Increase speed to high; beat 4 minutes or until fluffy.
6. Transfer cake to cutting board; cut off 2-inch diagonal slice from 1 end of cake. Transfer cake to serving platter; spread cut side of diagonal slice with 1 tablespoon frosting and attach to side of cake. Spread frosting over cake; run fork lengthwise through frosting in curvy motions to give appearance of bark. Dust with powdered sugar.
7. With scissors, cut marshmallows crosswise in half; stick 1 candy onto cut side of each marshmallow. Dust with cocoa powder.
8. Decorate cake platter with candy mushrooms; garnish with chocolate shavings, sugared cranberries and sugared rosemary, if desired.
Approximate nutritional values per serving:
704 Calories, 44g Fat (20g Saturated), 213mg Cholesterol,
395mg Sodium, 74g Carbohydrates, 1g Fiber, 8g Protein
For sugared cranberries and rosemary: Line rimmed baking pan with parchment paper; spread 1 cup granulated sugar on a plate. Heat 1 cup each granulated sugar and water to a boil over medium-high heat; cook 5 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Add cranberries to warm sugar liquid and stir to coat; with slotted spoon, transfer to plate with sugar and toss until coated. Transfer to prepared pan to dry. Repeat with rosemary sprigs.