Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes • Serves: 4
1 green bell pepper, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 small yellow onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil plus additional for garnish (optional)
4 large Pete and Gerry’s® Eggs
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
8 (1-inch) slices baguette bread
Fresh parsley for garnish (optional)
1. In large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and onion and cook 8 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Add garlic, paprika, cumin, crushed red pepper and salt; cook 1 minute or until garlic is fragrant and golden brown, stirring frequently.
3. Add tomatoes; heat to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook 10 minutes or until mixture is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in basil. Makes about 4 cups.
4. With back of large spoon, make 4 wells in tomato mixture. Crack 1 egg into small bowl and gently pour into a well; repeat with remaining eggs. Increase heat to medium; cover and cook 5 minutes or until egg whites are cooked through and yolks are slightly soft.
5. Serve shakshuka sprinkled with cheese along with bread; garnish with parsley, if desired.
Approximate nutritional values per serving:
429 Calories, 17g Fat (4g Saturated), 195mg Cholesterol,
983mg Sodium, 55g Carbohydrates, 7g Fiber, 18g Protein